Thursday, March 17, 2011

Good Morning!

Good morning! 

Before I said "Good morning!" to you and everyone in the house and the neighbors and the UPS guy and the little kid at the store and the store clerk and my friend...I said "Good morning!" to God.

A cheerful "Good morning!" pours love into those I know, builds relationships with those I'm getting to know, and offers common courtesy to those I don't know at all.  I've shouted out my door, "Good morning!" to the UPS guy so often and for so many years that I came to know him by name and now we can chat about baseball, our kids, and how I sure do purchase a lot of stuff online.  You know that neighbor who drives by you daily but you've never officially met?  Or that kid you see regularly but who always seems to be on the other side of the room, hall, cafeteria, gym, or church?  A way to start a relationship is to make eye-contact and give a quick nod, smile, wave, "Hi," or "Good morning!"  Over time, you may become neighborly or develop a friendship.

To build a relationship with God, a "Good morning!" is a great place to start.  It only takes a second.  Consider it, at least, a common courtesy to the Creator.  When you feel distant from Him, no worries; by saying "Good morning" to Him each day you will grow closer.  That's just how it works.  Have a few more seconds to build the most important relationship of your life?  Start talking to Him.  Tell Him what you are sorry about, what you want, what you're thankful for.  It's just between you and God.

Catholics can consider learning a formal Morning Offering.  Here is one example:
O Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, sufferings of this day, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, the reparation for sin, the reunion of Christians; and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father this month.
Amen.
Rise and shine and thank you for saying, "Good morning!" to me.  I'm praying for you and your day, every day.

Love,
Mom