Thursday, February 24, 2011

In a Flash

You know that scene in movies when a character faces danger and probable death and his life "flashes before his eyes" and ours?  We witness years of time in split second pictures.  I've had this experience in real life; thank goodness not connected to my impending death.

There are times when things are hard between us, or when I watch you struggle from afar, and I plunge into surreal time.  I can see your anger, saddness, confusion, pain.  Then, all of a sudden, I see your baby face.  My heart softens.  I remember you; sweet, innocent and new. You were cute beyond belief and brimming with the personality of the one and only you. Yes! Even when you were a baby I could glimpse the teen you would become. I don't know how to explain it, something about that look in your eyes and the way you showed me what you needed. Then you are a toddler, a pre-schooler, school-aged.  Now you are, shockingly, a teen and young adult in the making. 

Mothers tell their children, "You will always be my baby"...and my softened heart is why being my baby is a good thing. I am not disrepecting you as a young adult...just letting you know that sometimes, your life flashes before my eyes.

Love you babe,
Mom